Centre County PAWS Medical Assistant Job Description
Location: State College, PA
Position type: Part time, 10-15 hours/week
Experience: 2+ years
Desired education level: High School/GED required, secondary education or veterinary certification strongly preferred but not required
A Medical Assistant is needed for 10-15 hours per week, primarily on weekends. This position reports to the PAWS Medical Manager.
- Work with the PAWS Medical Manager to ensure proper medical care of all PAWS animals
- Ensure information regarding health of our animals is effectively communicated to volunteers, staff, fosters, adopters
- Assist in updating to all medical records and animal databases
Centre County PAWS prefers an individual with the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, though is willing to train the right candidate who is still learning:
- Superb animal restraint abilities and proficiency in Fear Free and safe-handling techniques
- Ability to calmly handle large dogs and fractious cats
- Ability to properly dispense medications, administer vaccinations, and implant microchips
- Proficiency in running fecal examinations ideal
- Ability to draw blood ideal
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a volunteer/staff group
Mental, Physical, and Communication Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular exposure to animals, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, bites, scratches, and Zoonotic diseases.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be pulled by dogs up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear.
- Regularly required to stand and walk.
- Regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feet and reach with hands and arms.
- Requires patience and tact when working with difficult, emotional, or angry people.
- Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
- Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom systems to internal and external individuals.
- Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous and professional manner.
COVID-19 Specific Considerations
Works directly with visitors of unknown COVID-19 exposure history and in close proximity to a number of PAWS staff and volunteers. Required to wear a mask through the majority, if not all, of scheduled shifts.
Centre County PAWS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
For those interested in applying, please submit your resume to our Medical Manager (email@example.com) to be considered.